These are my notes around casual research into programmable computer systems. It is an ongoing, open-ended inquiry searching for fundamental ideas and powerful abstractions to organize, program and use computer systems.
Misfits are small and big annoyances in the prevalent systems of today. They show where the current systems, conventions and ideas are broken.
- Stuck with Plain Text - A specific problem with plain text.
- Misfeatures of Plain Text - Various problems that come with representing information in plain text files.
- Files, Formats and Byte Arrays - On the notion of 'files' and 'file formats'.
- Where's my Simulator? - Simulated effect is conspicuously absent from the programming experience.
Philosophy and Meta ideas are ideas that help in the discovery and discussion of other ideas.
- Finding the Frame - Before you look for a solution, look for a better problem.
Starting Positions are some initial perspectives at the whole problem.
- Systems, not Programs - We need programming, but do we need the program?
Other sections to come soon.